ECS, Faculty of Physical Sciences and Engineering
University of Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom. SO17 1BJ
Positions: pg in Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia Group, pg in Web and Internet Science
Telephone: Work (Voice): +44 (0)23 8059 1841
URI: http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/4932 [browse]
The group secretary for the Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia Group is Jane Morgan.
Interests: accelerometers, activity recognition, assessment, higher education, human computer interaction, internet of things, mentoring, mobile behavioural interventions, mobile computing, mobile computing in education, pervasive computing, sensors, smart homes, smart technologies, smartphone, student feedback, ubiquitous computing
Born in Venezuela, Adriana studied for her B.CompSc. degree at the Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV). She received a "honour mention" for her undergraduate project, “A parallel algorithm for sparse LU decomposition by getting compatible sets” which was presented at the XXI Latin American Conference on Informatics (in Brazil). She taught on a number of computer science undergraduate courses at UCV for six years.
After this, she continued her education in the UK and achieved several teaching qualifications, including a PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education and Training. She was awarded an MSc in Computer Science by the Universities of Berne, Fribourg and Neuchâtel in Switzerland (specialism in Distributed Systems with a minor in Education). During these studies, she worked as a teaching assistant at the Univesity of Fribourg on the “Computer Architecture” undergraduate course.
Adriana's M.Sc dissertation, “Activity Recognition for Motion-Aware Pervasive Systems”, was completed during a research visit to the University of Southampton. Subsequently she was awarded a Mayflower Scholarship for Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) at the University of Southampton, becoming a PhD candidate in Computer Science researching on learning analytics in higher education, whilst supporting the teaching in the department.
Adriana is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy since 2013 and a Teaching Fellow for ECS since 2016.
- MSc Mentors Coordinator
- Supervisor of three MSc projects
- Lecturer and examiner for: Interaction Design, Secure Systems and Cloud Application Development
- Senior Tutor for ECS
- ECS representative in the Researching Assesment Practices SIG
- MSc Mentors Coordinator (2011-2013, 2015- )
- Senior Tutor for ECS (provided assistance to Julian Field for a few weeks)
- Lecturer and examiner for: Computer Networking in Organisations, Wireless and Mobile Networks, Computer Networks, Data Communications Networks, and Distributed Systems
- Examiner for Cloud Application Development (COMP3207), Scripting Languages (COMP3001), Rich Internet Applications (INFO6005)
- Supervisor of two Part III projects for MEng in Electronic Engineering
- Supervisor of one Part III project for BSc in IT in Organisations
- Supervisor of one Part IV research project for an MEng in Computer Science
- Supervisor of one Part IV research review for an MEng in Electronic Engineering
- Co-supervisor of eight MSc in Web Technologies’ final projects, and
- Committee member in ECS Athena SWAN and in the Faculty Ethics Committee.
BCompSc(Hons), PGCE, MSc, MIfL, FHEA, IEEE(S)
Other Professional Activities
I am a Visiting Researcher at the University of Chile (research visits in March 2014 and January 2015).
I also serve (or have served) as a reviewer for :
- ACM Web Science 2015.
- 8th International Conference on Sensing Technologies, ICST 2014. I acted as the Special Session chair.
- Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing. (Springer)
- IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications, ISIEA 2013
- 5th International Workshop on Smart Environments and Ambient Intelligence, SEnAmI 2013
- IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications, ISIEA 2012
- 4th International Workshop on Sensor Networks and Ambient Intelligence, SeNAmI 2012
- ACM/Springer Personal and Ubiquitous Computing Journal. Theme Issue "Sensor driven computing and applications for Ambient Intelligence."
- Inspire to succeed: Transforming teaching and learning in STEM (#HEASTEM16). Higher Education Academy, Nottingham, January 2016.
- Contributed to the 9th International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST 15). Auckland, New Zealand, December 2015.
- LACE SoLAR Flare 2015: Research into Practice. Society of Learning Analytics Research. Open University, Milton Keynes, October 2015.
- 2nd ACM-W WomENcourage conference. Uppsala, Sweden, September 2015 (where I led an unconference session in Data Mining).
- 1st Symposium on First Year Teaching: Reflecting on the changing needs of our students, Southampton, September 2015.
- WS Education Workshop, part of WEB SCIENCE 2015, Oxford, UK, June 2015
- Contributed to the 8th International Conference on Sensing Technologies (ICST 2014). Liverpool, UK, September 2014.
- 1st ACM-W WomENcourage conference. Manchester, UK, March 2014. (where I led an unconference session in Learning Analytics)
- Improving Student Satisfaction with Assessment and Feedback conference, Southampton, UK, February 2014.
- 7th International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST). Wellington, New Zealand, December 2013.
- Digital Economies 2013: Open Digital (DE2013). MediaCityUK, Salford, UK, November 2013.
- EINS Network of Excellence in Internet Science Summer School. Annecy, France, October 2013.
- 2013 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2013). Zurich, Switzerland, September 2013.
- Anita Borg Scholars Retreat. Google Zurich,Switzerland, July 2013.
- 1st International Workshop on Internet Science and Web Science Synergies (part of WEB SCIENCE 2013, collocated with CHI 2013), Paris, France, May 2013.
- Digital Literacies, Southampton, UK, March 2013.
- The 10th International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive 2012), Newcastle University, UK, June 2012.
- The Connected Past, Southampton, UK, March 2012.
- Contributed to the IEEE International Conference on User Science and Engineering (i-USEr 2010), December 2010, Sha-Allam, Malaysia
- II Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Adaptive Systems, ISAS’99. H. Mühlenbein and A. Ochoa (ed). La Habana, Cuba, 1999.
- XLVI AsoVAC Annual Convention. Venezuelan Association for the Promotion of Science, Barquisimeto, Venezuela, 1996.
- XXI Latin American Conference on Informatics, PANEL'95. Gramado, Brazil, August 1995.
- IFIP WG10.3 Working Conference on Applications in Parallel and Distributed Computing, Caracas, Venezuela, April 1994.