ECS, Faculty of Physical Sciences and Engineering
University of Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom. SO17 1BJ
Position: System administrator in Systems Group
Telephone: Work (Voice): +44 (0)23 8059 4833
URI: http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248 [browse]
Additional Contact Details
|•||Ken E Meacham||(explain)|
|•||Dr Nicholas Gibbins||(explain)|
|•||Nigel Shadbolt FBCS FREng||(explain)|
This list of people is sourced from
RKBExplorer, the result of an ECS project.
Click on the "explain" link to the right of each person to
find out how they are connected.
Note: the explain link requires heavy processing and may take some time to load.
Interests: accessibility, ajax, bibliographic data, dc, developer community, eprints, gpl, graphite, grinder, information architecture, java, latex, linked data, linux, making things work better, not having to do 9am lectures, oai, ontofic, ontologies, open access, open source, owl, perl, php, pragmatic open data, rdf, scholarly communications, scripting languages, self-sufficiency, semantic web, sql, tagging, web 2.0, web standards, www, xml
I'm a System, Information and Web programmer, and part of the University of Southampton IT Innovation team.
I'm the University Linked Open Data Architect; I designed, built and maintain http://data.southampton.ac.uk/ which is setting the pace for open data from organsations. I'm the author of many little bits of software including Graphite (a PHP Library for working with RDF, inspired by jQuery), Grinder (a cheap and cheerful tool for making RDF from spreadsheets or other tabular data). I am titular lead developer for EPrints, but all the real work is now being done by my colleague Tim Brody.
Along with 6 others I was one of the founders of Thee Temple ov thee Lemur, who made dumb/fun web stuff back before the millenium. In my spare time I like to create subversive, pointless or just plain incorrect RDF documents, and continue to struggle with a debilitating Minecraft addiction.
Other Professional Activities
- SIGIR 2001 (New Orleans)
- 2nd Workshop on the Open Archives Initiative (OAI)
- Gave prestentation on GNU EPrints at 2nd OAI workshop: Gaining independence with e-prints archives and OAI
- 11th Conference of PanHellenic Librarians, Larissa, Greece Workshop Leader at SURF/ALT conference: "Making Connections: Connecting People, Connecting Technology"
- III Workshop REBIUN sobre proyectos digitales (Presentation on GNU EPrints)
- IMC-004 Workshop on Open Access / Open Archives Initiative, Nato RTO, Oslo, Wednesday, May 10, 2006. Invited speaker.
- WWW2006 - as webmaster!
- WWW2007 - as assistant webmaster.
- OR2008 (Open Repositories Conference)
- Repositories Fringe 2008
- WWW2009 - repository manager
- IWMW2009 (Institutional Web Masters Workshop) - as technical plenary speaker.
- Dev8D (2009) - Invited Speaker
- Dev8D2010 - Organising Committee