ECS, Faculty of Physical Sciences and Engineering
University of Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom. SO17 1BJ
Position: Academic staff in Web and Internet Science
Telephone: Work (Voice): +44 (0)23 8059 9400
Fax: Work (Fax): 023 8059 2865
URI: http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/3518 [browse]
Mark Weal is a member of the Web and Internet Science Group a Web Science Trust Fellow. His current research interests include online behavioral interventions delievered through desktop and mobile devices and the application of Semantic Web technologies to pervasive systems. Mark has worked for a number of years in the area of information systems, from hypermedia systems for eLearning through to information infrastructures for multi-user pervasive experiences as exemplified by his work on the Equator IRC http://www.equator.ac.uk. Mark's work has been extensively cross disciplinary, engaging with teachers, archivists and nursing practitioners amongst others.
- Course Leader UG Web Science
- Admissions Tutor UG Web Science
- Module Leader COMP2213, COMP6048, WEBS1001
- FPSE Diversity committee member
- Senate member
Ph.D. Computer Science
B.Sc. Computer Science 1st class honours
PCAP (Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice)
- Government Foresight DIID project (Detection and Identification of Infectious Diseases), helping to produce a State of Science review on Sensor networks and their applicability to the detection and control of infectious diseases.
- Government Foresight project on Cognitive Systems, which has subsequently been published as a book.
- Fujitsu ‘Box’ project.
- Post Office Research Group project to investigate visualisations for Market Landscape Mapping. This involved the development of a belief based underlying information model along with a prototype offering a variety of authoring and visualisation capabilities. The project was nominated for a British Computer Society Award for IT in 2002.
- Hazard perception CD ROM in conjunction with colleagues in Psychology, Hampshire County Council and Hampshire Police.
May 2013 ACM Web Science '13, Paris, France. Workshop organiser, presenter.
June 2011 ACM Web Science '11, Koblenz, Germany. Workshop organiser.
May 2010 ACM Web Science '10, Raliegh, NC, USA. Presenter, workshop organiser.
May 2009 ACM Web Science '09, Athens, Greece. Workshop organiser.
March 2009 ICST Pervasive Health 2009, London, UK. Presenter.
May 2007 ACM Pervasive 07, Toronto, Canada. Presenter and workshop organiser.
March 2007 IEEE PerCom 07, White Plains, NY. Presenter.
March 2006 IEEE PerCom 06, Pisa, Italy. Presenter.
September 2005 ACM Hypertext Conference, Salzburg, Austria. Presenter.
August 2003 ACM Hypertext Conference, Nottingham, UK. Presenter.
March 2002 eNarrative4, Boston, Massachusetts. Presenter.