Re: ePrint Repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:16:52 +0000

Simon's online peer review system is very interesting and welcome, but
make no mistake about it: It is just classical peer review (implemented
online -- but that's irrelevant, because peer-review is
medium-independent anyway, and even on-paper journals are implementing
their peer review on-line these days) plus a subsequent phase of open peer
commentary.

(Cf. BBS (since 1978) <http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bbs/>
and Psycoloquy (since 1989) <http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/psycoloquy/>
which both do the same thing, the former both on-paper and on-line, and
the latter on-line-only.)

So the rest is all down to the quality of the journal and its contents, which
takes some years to establish. New journals start with a handicap, having no
demonstrated quality standards or impact factor.

But these experiments on implementing peer-review on-line, and supplementing it
with open peer commentary, though they are eminently worth performing and will
be extremely useful, have nothing whatsoever to do with the question of either
"self-publication" or the untested merits of "open self-appointed,
post-hoc review," as putative SUBSTITUTES for classical peer review.
Simon's is classical peer review, implemented on-line, with post-hoc
commentary as a SUPPLEMENT.

Stevan Harnad