Re: Financial Times Article on Self-Archiving: 23 July 2001

From: George Lundberg <GLundberg_at_MEDSCAPEINC.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:04:02 -0400

In the biomedical field, many papers (and indeed many journals) exist for
the principal purpose of researchers talking to researchers. In those
circumstances, Greg Kuperberg's analysis may well apply. But, many articles
(and many journals) are intended to educate practicing physicians as to how
they should treat patients. These readers(the great majority of biomedical
journal readers)are very different from physicists and mathematicians as
described in this forum. And the stakes of what happens to the participants
in this forum and to their families when they become ill and must receive
medical care are also very different. I would be greatly averse to having
my doctor treating me based on some ??published self-archived article.
Therein lies one of the principal rubs in this discussion.
george lundberg