Re: FOS Newsletter Excerpts

From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo_at_VOICENET.COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:29:34 -0500

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_cogprints.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Joseph Riolo has not understood this point and I do not think anything
> is gained from further repetition, unless there is some new, pertinent
> information introduced.

To be very blunt (forgive me), Stevan Harnad's position on copyright
is flatly wrong. I am a bit worried that his position will become
Achilles heel for some or many authors in the long term. The authors
must always follow this commandment if they want to accomplish
the goals in making their works available to the public without
charge: You must not transfer, assign, or give up your whole
copyright to anyone else anytime in your life.

Putting your work in the public domain is a nice alternative
and is much simpler than many other approaches but I am fully
aware that this is not a popular option. So be it.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo_at_voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.