Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: Hal Varian <hal_at_sims.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:42:33 +0100

My experience (as co-editor of the American Economic Review) was not
so much that reviews were better, but they tended to be done more
quickly. (We didn't pay if it took too long.) This is something that
authors' want, of course, so there was no problem in charging
submitters a fee in order to pay the referees for timely reports.

--
Hal Varian, Dean           voice: 510-642-9980
SIMS, 102 South Hall       fax:   510-642-5814