Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:19:55 -0800

Stevan-

In what possible way do you see this move as progressive?

Although Nature is letting authors retain copyright, the only actual rights
authors retain are the right to post the paper on a personal web site and to
reproduce the paper in course material and certain other limited printed
aggregations. The definition of personal web site is very restrictive. From
their site "It means a personal site, or portion of a site, either owned by
you or at your institution (provided this institution is not-for-profit),
devoted to you and your work." They explicitly preclude placing the papers
in an archive! ("Authors may also post a copy of their paper on their own
website once the printed edition has been published, provided that they also
provide a link from the contribution to Nature's website. 'Their own' refers
to any site devoted to them, whether owned by them or by a not-for-profit
employer. However, it does not mean open archival websites, such as those
that host collections of articles by an institution's researchers, which
would amount to a breach of our licence.")

Although these are technically new legal rights for authors, these are all
rights that authors already had in practice, since Nature would never go
after an author for posting a copy of their paper on their own website.

I see this as a cynical and somewhat sinister move towards journals moving
from the world of copyright, in which authors and the public retain many
rights, to the world of licensing, where such rights are non-existant.

In my opinion, Nature is trying to pat themselves on the back for a move in
the wrong direction, and its a testament to the success of their propaganda
campaign that some as astute and generally skeptical as you would fall for
their line.

-Mike

Michael Eisen, Ph.D. (mbeisen_at_lbl.gov)

Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and
University of California at Berkeley
http://rana.lbl.gov

--Support Unrestricted Access to Scientific Publications--
--Visit http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org