Re: Guardian September 13 Editorial on PLoS Biology Launch

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:17:55 +0100

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Barbara Kirsop wrote:

> Re: http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1061607,00.html
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/opinion/story/0,12981,1058578,00.html
>
> Dear All, the Guardian has now used access to science journals for its
> second editorial column (see www.guardian.co.uk/), so they are truly
> taking note. However they, and some more letter-writers, are still not
> understanding that the PLoS journal is not the first ground-breaking OA
> journal, nor the benefits and progress of self/institutional archiving.
>
> Stevan, you may need to join in at this point.....
>
> Barbara

I'm working on it. I have written the following op-ed style essay,
called "A Keystroke Koan For Our Open-Access Times" which I will be
submitting today to a number of newspapers. It's open-access, of course,
so any of you with some influence with newspapers are free to submit
it wherever you feel it will do some good (on all of our behalves!).

I will post the full-text separately in a few hours; it might still
undergo some revision (suggestions welcome):

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/koan.htm

Stevan Harnad