Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:54:29 -0800

Stevan-

Your definition of open access

"OA means FREE, IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT ACCESS TO REFEREED-ARTICLE FULL-TEXTS
ONLINE"

leaves out a crucial component - namely the rights of reuse and
redistribution. This is clearly spelled out in the BOAI definition:

By 'open access' to this literature, we mean its free availability on the
public internet, permitting any users to read, download, copy, distribute,
print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles, crawl them for
indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful
purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those
inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself. The only constraint
on reproduction and distribution, and the only role for copyright in this
domain, should be to give authors control over the integrity of their work
and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited."

> I completely agree with Mike that all freely-accessible full-text journal
> articles should be counted, but I don't think it is giving them their
> proper due to decline to count them as "truly" OA! Unless, of course,
> they fail to meet the full OA definition:
>
> FREE, IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT ACCESS TO REFEREED-ARTICLE FULL-TEXTS
ONLINE

[snip]

> But there is also an important logical point which Mike seems to have
overlooked:
> If a journal provides the following for *all* of its articles:
>
> FREE, IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT ACCESS TO REFEREED-ARTICLE FULL-TEXTS
ONLINE

> on its own journal website or PubMed Central's, then that is OA journal
> publishing ("gold"), not OA self-archiving ("green")! The "self" in
> "self-archiving" is the author (and the author's institution). It
> does not help us provide clarity and understanding to conflate the two
> components of the unified OA provision strategy by failing to distinguish
> OA provision by the journal (OA publishing, gold) from OA provision by the
> author/institution (OA-self-archiving, green).
>
> I think it is Mike's spurious free/open distinction that allows him to
> fail to make this absolutely fundamental distinction between the two
> complementary components of the unified OA strategy.

You may think this is free/open distinction is spurious, but in doing so you
have to acknowledge you are redfining open access in contrast to the way it
is definied in BOAI, Bethesda, Berlin, etc... And you are at odds with many
open access supporters who feel that reuse and redistribution are as, if not
more, important than free access. There rights are a critical part of open
access - otherwise we would just call it free access.

So, I would like us to use a more accurate definitions:

Free Access (FA) means FREE, IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT ACCESS TO REFEREED-ARTICLE
FULL-TEXTS ONLINE

OA means FREE, IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT ACCESS TO REFEREED-ARTICLE FULL-TEXTS
ONLINE AND THE RIGHT TO REDISTRIBUTE AND REUSE WORKS LIMITED ONLY BY PROPER
ATTRIBUTION

This is not simply a semantic distinction.

I would also like to point out that this has some ramifications for how we
think about self-archived content. Placing something on in an institutional
archive may make it freely available, but it doesn't make it OA. In most
cases copyright on the self-archived work remains with the authors and/or
journal, and permission must be obtained to reuse or redistribute the works.
I in no way mean this to be an argument against self-archiving - just a
recognition that the way we define OA is important, and that self-archiving
is not sufficient to provide OA unless the copyright holders also grant
potential users redistribution and reuse rights. Maybe we need to
distinguish self-archiving as currently practiced from open-access
self-archiving in which works are placed in self-archives AND the copyright
holders license them with the Creative Commons Attribution License
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/).

-Mike