Re: How to compare research impact of toll- vs. open-access research

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:09:17 +0100

For one thing, listing in Cogprints is more of a recommendation to a
searcher with interdsciplinary interests than publication in this very
obscure journal, which isn't even in PubMed. For another, people who
have used it know that Cogprints leads to full text, unlike the journal's
abstracts-only link.

The first question I have, is what is the justification for this
journal existing in the first place? The second, Jim, is why, as
a senior scientist not seeking promotion or tenure, did you bother
publishing it there? Did you think that the imprimature of this unknown
journal's peer review would add anything to your name in this field as
an indicator of quality? The principle reason I can see would be the
desire to add its regular readership, however small, to those who would
see your paper. It can't be just to get the paper indexed in Medline,
because Medline doesn't yet include the journal.

Could we concentrate better on the need for open access repositories if
we did not waste effort on unnecessary journal publication? Everyone will
I hope understand that this is not primarily intended for Jim personally,
but to authors in general.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu

(and, formerly: Princeton University Library)