Re: Evolving Publisher Copyright Policies On Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 15:27:16 +0000

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Donat Agosti wrote:

> This seems to be an article of interest to the open access debate?
>
> Paul A. David (2004) "Can 'open science' be protected from the
> evolving regime of IPR protections?" Journal of Institutional
> and Theoretical Economics 160 (1, 2004): 9-34
> http://siepr.stanford.edu/papers/pdf/02-42.pdf

For at least 92% of this science, no further "protection" is
necessary -- if only we would stop fussing about IPR and
focus instead on providing OA: by self-archiving at least 92%
of our articles -- *now* (without even waiting for our employers
and funders to mandate it)!

    http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?action=browse
    http://software.eprints.org/handbook/departments.php

Stevan Harnad

P.S. Even for those who are Creative Commons (CC) License advocates first,
and OA advocates only second, your own objectives -- eminently worthwhile
and highly desirable and beneficial as they are -- would be far better
served if you advised those whose first concern is OA for the 2.5
million annual articles in the world's 24,000 peer-reviewed journals
to self-archive their own articles now. The very best way to prepare
the road for CC in this special domain (refereed journal articles) is
to first attain 100% OA. It will all be downhill for CC from there. But
not from here -- and especially if premature (and unnecessary) calls
for CC (in this special domain, unlike music, software, film and trade
publication) help to delay attaining immediate 100% OA!

AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:
        http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php

UNIFIED DUAL OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/