Re: Proposed update of BOAI definition of OA: Immediate and Permanent

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_eln.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:21:46 -0800
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) note for moderator: Stevan, I'm sure you could not post this without
critiquing, so go ahead - but I would like to see this message posted
separately first. Also, if subsequent discussion needs to be referred to
another list, may I suggest SOAF? chrs, Heather

Stevan, I absolutely agree with the sentiments, but would like to suggest
that this raises the bar too high at present. My interpretation of your
proposed definition is that only gold publishers who have figured out
solutions for permanent archiving would fit a definition of immediate and
permanent OA; perhaps only BMC and PLoS, and these largely due to archiving
plans for PubMedCentral.

There are many green publishers who allow for self-archiving, who do not
take responsibility for ensuring that authors take advantage of this
opportunity. By leaving this with the authors, also, the publisher has no
way of knowing if the method employed by the author (IR, department web
site, author's home page) is securely archived. Nevertheless, these
publishers have taken significant steps towards open access, which I believe
need to be recognized, even if they are not the total solution.

cheers,

Heather Morrison

Heather Morrison
Project Coordinator