Re: Institutional Repositories

From: Jeffery, KG (Keith) <"Jeffery,>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:38:06 -0000

Richard -

one further use of IRs is - usually closely linked with a CRIS (Current
Research Information System) - as a database to provide statistics on
research output (publications,not patents nor products) by institution,
department, group, individual researcher.

This may be used in exercises such as the RAE in UK.

In Norway, the FRIDA CRIS (centrally maintained in Oslo but partitioned
by university)  includes basic publication information and is being used
directly to affect the funding to each university based on research
outputs.

[for anyone interested, more information on CRIS an be found at
www.eurocris.org ]

[by the way, you may wish to ad to your list of IR software the CCLRC
ePubs system  http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/ ]

Prof Keith G Jeffery          Director InformationTechnology
               and Head Business & Information Technology Department

kgj_at_rl.ac.uk              CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
T:+44 1235 44 6103        Chilton, Didcot, OXON  OX11  0QX UK
F:+44 1235 44 5831
WWW Person:      http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk/Person/K.G.Jeffery
Department:                         http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk
ERCIM President & CCLRC Director:        http://www.ercim.org/
W3C Office at CLRC-RAL                      http://www.w3.org/
President euroCRIS                    http://www.eurocris.org/
VLDB Trustee Emeritus:                    http://www.vldb.org/
EDBT Board Member                         http://www.edbt.org/

The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
intended recipient only.  If you are not one of the intended recipients
do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but return this email
to the sender and delete your copy of it

The CCLRC telecommunications systems may be monitored in accordance with
the policy available from
<http://dlitd.dl.ac.uk/policy/monitoring/monitoring%20statement.htm>.