Re: Universite du Quebec a Montreal becomes first North American University to sign Berlin Declaration on Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:59:25 -0400

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, David Goodman wrote:

> Is UQaM actually planning to _require_ self-archving?

So far, UQaM has only signed the Berlin Declaration. Soon they will
adopt "une directive," which is not quite a mandate, but I hope it will
prove just as effective.

> That would be a truly notable accomplishment, for your other university
> (Southampton) does not yet require it, though your
> department (ECS) does.

Southampton is very near to adopting a mandate, and in fact it is in a
race with at least two other UK universities I know of for becoming the
first UK university with a university-wide mandate. (May the best
man-date win!)

> Similarly CERN, so far the lagest organization to require
> self archiving, reports that
> some researchers do not cooperate, and the library staff
> needs to obtain copies from journals or the web.
> http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/12/papers/2/

Unless I am mistaken, the library intervention is needed mostly for
CERN's huge legacy literature, stretching back decades. Strictly
speaking, a mandate can only be for the forward-going literature (today
and onward), because authors may not have digital copies of their
earlier work. (They may no longer even be at CERN, or alive!)

Stevan Harnad

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_03_26_fosblogarchive.html#114390894155983163