Re: Poynder on OA in Europe

From: Andrew A. Adams <A.A.Adams_at_READING.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:58:17 +0900

It would appear that my attempt to reply to Mahon's criticism of Miradon's
suggestion that we should be able to get a significant portion of the
commercial R&D sector in Europe to support an EU Green IR/OA mandate was not
as clear as I had hoped. I do indeed agree with Stevan, so let me be short
and (this time, I hope) clear on what I meant:

The fact that some commercial recipients of EU funding desire to restrict
publication of results is not a bar to getting them on side in mandating OA
to what is published anyway in peer-reviewed journals - we can show them that
it is in their interests. In addition, there are substantal commercial R&D
players in Europe not engaged in this funding and they should also be
possible for us to engage in lobbying on our side.

--
*E-mail*a.a.adams_at_rdg.ac.uk********  Dr Andrew A Adams
**snail*27 Westerham Walk**********  School of Systems Engineering