[Fwd: [EQ] Measuring the Impact of Research: What do we know?]

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_utsc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:53:18 -0400

In view of the ongoing discussion on research impact, I thought this
recent issue paper is timely.

Best
Leslie

Subject: [EQ] Measuring the Impact of Research: What do we know?
From: "Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)" <ruglucia_at_PAHO.ORG>
Date: Mon, October 20, 2008 11:23 am
To: EQUIDAD_at_LISTSERV.PAHO.ORG

Measuring the Impact of Research: What do we know? (Part I)

Canadian Health Services Research Foundation, Insight-Action Issue 46
(October 16, 2008)

Available online as PDF file at:
http://28784.vws.magma.ca/other_documents/insight_action/documents/Insig
htandAction_46_e.pdf
<http://28784.vws.magma.ca/other_documents/insight_action/documents/Insi
ghtandAction_46_e.pdf>

Organizations that fund research are under intense pressure to show that
the research they support brings value to their communities.i In fact,
in Canada, demonstrating the impact of research is a requirement of the
federal government's science and technology strategy. Due mainly to the
applied nature of their research, health services and policy researchers
in particular face high expectations to describe the benefits of their
work.

KEY MESSAGES

* A common reason for measuring the impact of research is to demonstrate
accountability, but results of measuring can also be used to guide
improvements in research and programming.

* Health research impacts generally include: knowledge production;
research capacity-building; informed decision-making; health and health
sector benefits; and economic benefits.

* Among some of the widely used methods for measuring the benefits from
research are bibliometric analysis, economic rate of return, peer
review, case studies, logic modelling, and benchmarking. Taking a
multi-indicator, multi-method approach is advised.

Related online Papers:

RAND Europe. 2006. "Measuring the benefits from research." Policy
Resource.

Government of Canada. 2007. Mobilizing science and technology to
Canada's advantage.

Hovland, I. 2007. "Making a difference: M&E of policy research." Working
Paper 281 Results of ODI research presented in preliminary form for
discussion and critical comment.

Davies, H., Nutley, S., & Walter, I. 2005. "Assessing the impact of
social science research: conceptual, methodological and practical
issues." Research Unit for Research Utilisation (RURU), University of
St. Andrews.

Canadian Institutes of Health Research. 2005. "Developing a CIHR
Framework to Measure the Impact of Health Research - Synthesis Report of
Meetings

 * * *

This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is
part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic
inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics;
Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues.
[DD/ KMS Area]

"Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless
expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors
and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members".
------------
PAHO/WHO Website <http://66.101.212.219/equity/>
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove:
http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
<http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html>

IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
email to infosec_at_paho.org, and please dispose of and
delete this transmission. Thank you.

    [ Part 2, Text/HTML (Name: "untitled-[1.2]") 741 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3, Image/JPEG 9.8KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]