RE: STM Publisher Briefing on Institution Repository Deposit Mandates

From: Sally Morris (Morris Associates) <"Sally>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:15:57 EST

Sue Thorn and I will shortly be publishing a report of a research
study on the attitudes and behaviour of 1368 members of UK-based
learned societies in the life sciences.

72.5% said they never used self-archived articles when they had
access to the published version; 3% did so whenever possible,
10% sometimes and 14% rarely. When they did not have access to
the published version, 53% still never accessed the self-archived
version; 16% did so whenever possible, 16% sometimes and 15%
rarely. However, 13% of references were not in fact to
self-archiving repositories - they included Athens, Ovid, Science
Direct and ISI Web of Science/Web of Knowledge.

Sally Morris
Partner, Morris Associates - Publishing Consultancy
South House, The Street
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email: sally_at_morris-assocs.demon.co.uk