Metric Abuse Potential and the Power of Open Access Detection & Naming/Shaming

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:12:48 -0400

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Andrew Odlyzko <odlyzko_at_umn.edu> wrote:

> There is perhaps an even more important reason not to worry about this effect:
>
> If university bean-counters do start using download statistics in a serious
> way, those statistics will quickly become distorted to the point of being
> meaningless.  We already have extensive evidence that impact factors of
> journals and citation counts are being systematically distorted.  It
> would be far, far easier to distort download counts.  "Mike, if you will
> have each of your students take a look at one of these half a dozen of
> my papers, I will assign your favorite papers to my classes as required
> reading, ..."

Andrew is absolutely right. All metrics can be abused. Online they can
be abused even more easily. Friends can be asked to download, or
software can be written to do it automatically.

But this is, after all, academia, and not the trade world of spamware
and fraud. So abuses have bigger costs than just the time and money
invested in the scam.

Academics are answerable, with their careers and reputations. Authors
caught out in metric abuse can be named and shamed, and I would say
the potential risks vastly outweigh the potential benefits.

For although the online medium does increase -- greatly -- the
potential for abuse (of all kinds: inflating impact metrics,
plagiarism, fraud) it also increases -- even more greatly -- the
potential for detecting and exposing the abuse.

And there is strength in numbers. Research impact is not a
1-dimensional scalar. It's a vector with many interdependent
components, not all of them equally easy to abuse singly; and the
overall pattern, with its interactions and interdependencies, is
virtually impossible to abuse.

Just as self-citations, co-author citations and citation circles are
readily detectable and identifiable (and hence separable from
independent citations) so download manipulations will become
increasingly detectable: For example, you can fake higher download
counts with bogus hits, but you cannot fake the higher citation counts
that higher downloads normally generate after a certain latency. A
download burst not followed by a citation burst is a detectable
anomaly. So are multiple downloads to the same site or to nonacademic
(or faked academic) sites.

Brody, T., Harnad, S. and Carr, L. (2006) Earlier Web Usage Statistics
as Predictors of Later Citation Impact. Journal of the American
Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) 57(8) pp.
1060-1072. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10713/

The reason most online spams and scams flourish is that, if caught,
their consequences are no more than a lock-out by one service
provider. The consequences of academic monkey business represent a
rather more sobering deterrent.

Stevan Harnad