The University of Southampton

Your Application

What are the entry requirements?

We welcome applications from those with a first- or upper second-class degree or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University.

Language requirements

What is the minimum English language requiremnent?

We require an IELTS 6.5 overall and 5.5 in all components. Further information can be found here. Should you require further English language tuition before commencing your course at the University, we offer a number of Pre-Sessional English Programmes.

I am an overseas student currently studying in the UK. Will I still need to take an English test as a condition of acceptance to a postgraduate study?

As your current medium of instruction is in English, you would be exempt from a language condition.

I have a photocopy of my English Language score report. Can I submit this with my application?

At the time of application, it is acceptable to submit a photocopy of your English Language score report. However, to comply with our University Regulations we will require that an original of your score report be sent directly to our School. You will need to instruct the test centre to send a copy to our School. We suggest that you action this as soon as possible so as not to delay the processing of your candidature.

I am an overseas student currently studying outside of the UK, however, the medium of my current degree is English. Will I still need to take an English Language test?

To comply with our University Regulations we ask that all students studying overseas degrees undertake an accepted English Language test. For more information, please

Which address do I use to send my application form and supporting documents to your University?

All applications must be sent in the first instance to: Admissions and Student Data Office, University of Southampton, Southampton, SO17 IBJ, UK

How will I know that my application has arrived safely?

On receipt of your application, the Admissions and Student Data Office will send to you an acknowledgement email and allocate to you your own admissions reference number.

How will I know when a decision has been made on my application?

We aim to process applications within a 6- 8 week timescale. If you are to be made an offer of a place then we will send confirmation of this to you by both email and by post to your correspondence address. If we are not able to make an offer of a place then we shall send a rejection letter to you by post to your correspondence address.

Can I accept an offer of a place if I have not had the final results of my undergraduate degree?

If you have been made an offer of a place then it is important that you return your Reply to Offer to us as soon as possible. Once you have received the final results of your current degree then you must send us an original (or certified copy) of you final degree course transcript and also your awarding degree certificate. Our Admissions Tutors will then assess whether you have met the academic condition of your offer.

What supporting documentation is required?

For most taught courses or research programmes you will need to submit the following forms to our Admissions and Student Data Office:

  • Postgraduate application form
  • Reference forms from two referees
  • Ethnic origin form (for all applicants residing permanently in the UK)

You can download copies of these forms or you can contact the Prospectus and Enquiries Office at if you would like paper copies sent to you.

If you are applying for a research degree, you may also need to submit a research proposal. Please contact the Academic School directly to discuss this and any other matters relating to your application. You may also need to supply copies or original documentation to support your application.

What are the starting and closing dates for applications?

In general, there are no closing dates, although you are advised to apply as early as possible, especially if you are seeking financial support from research councils.

MPhil/PhD Research Applications: for a student to have an offer in place and to then be considered for School funding we recommend submitting an application no later than 1st May.

MSc Applications: as the courses are extremely popular we advise that applications are submitted by the end of May. After this date we cannot guarantee that places will still be available. Overseas students should submit an early application allowing time for them to then go through the necessary processing (accepting offers, meeting language conditions or enroling on the pre-sessional courses, Visa processing etc).

When will my course start?

Most postgraduate taught and research programmes start in early October.

Is there a fee which must be paid at the time of application?

Currently, there is no fee payable at the time of application

Financial support

I am self funded, how much money will I need to support myself in addition to the course fee?

In addition to the tuition fee, we recommend that overseas and EU students allow around £6000-£7000 to cover your living expenses for a year. This figure includes essentials such as accommodation, meals, clothes, books and personal expenditure. You will need more if you plan to stay in Southampton over the summer vacation. It also excludes the cost of travel to and from Southampton. In planning your finances it is important to take into account the fact that living costs are likely to increase during the period of your stay. You must also consider the current exchange rate. Further information on fees and funding can be found our University website.

The British Council publishes a booklet Studying and Living in Britain (ISBN 07463 06563) which contains useful advice about life in the UK and you can obtain this through your local British Council office. Further information to help international students interested in studying for a UK course or qualification can be found

Can I get a scholarship to study towards a Masters taught course?

Unfortunately, the School does not offer any form of scholarship funding to support our Masters courses, therefore you must ensure that you are able to self finance yourself for any studies you undertake with us.

Do you offer all postgraduate students a place in halls?

We offer all postgraduate students a place in halls during their first year of study, providing the following criteria is met:

  • you normally live outside the Southampton City boundary
  • we have received your accommodation application by the 1 August

For more information visit the University's accommodation website

International advice

Where can I find immigration information?

We provide support and guidance to our current international students in matters relating to immigration. More information can be found on our International Students website or from the UK Home Office Visas and Immigration website.

Do I need a visa?

As a general rule, if you come from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) you must meet the following criteria before coming to the UK as a student:

  • You must hold a formal offer of a place on your chosen course at the University of Southampton
  • You must be able to prove that you have the necessary funds to support yourself and pay your tuition fees for the full duration of your studies without recourse to public funds or work. If you are coming with your spouse or dependents you must be also have enough funds to support them too
  • You must be entering the UK to undertake a full time course (unless you are the dependent of a full-time student)
  • It must be your intention to leave the UK once your studies have finished
  • It must not be your intention to work in the UK except for temporary part-time and vacation work

More information can be found our International Students website.

As a first year iPhD student, how many hours of organised study will I take in one week?

As a guide you will have around 15 hours of lectures per week. In addition to this you will be required to undertake around 25 hours of self study and assignments each week.

How will my PhD be assessed?

By annual reports, viva voce and thesis examination.